Enable unit conversions
We've made a quick video walkthrough of how to get started with unit conversions.
Enabling unit conversions with Tasty Recipes is as easy as flipping a switch. No other configuration or setup is required. From the WordPress admin, navigate to Settings > Tasty Recipes. From there you'll find the option to enable unit conversion in the Settings tab.
A few things to note:
- The unit conversions toggle will only appear on new recipes or recipe cards that you’ve updated since enabling the feature. Once you're comfortable with the conversion feature you can automagically enable it on all of your recipes — aka the cron job. Until then, we wanted you to have more control over where this new feature appears.
Here's how to enable unit conversion for all of your existing recipes. Keep in mind, it may take some time for all of your recipes to be processed.
- The Tasty Recipes converter has been built to automatically detect whether an ingredient is liquid or dry, to ensure the conversions from cups to grams or cups to milliliters are accurate.
- By design, teaspoons and tablespoons will not be converted. In our research, we found these units were used universally.
- If you receive an error message (see screenshot below), send us a link to the post and we’ll do our best to resolve the issue quickly. This error message will only appear in the admin, so everything will still look great for your readers.
Need to disable unit conversion on a single recipe? See How to disable unit conversion on a single recipe
Disable unit conversion for one post
If you would like to disable unit conversion for a single recipe, you can open up your post, and with the Tasty Recipes block selected, open up the advanced block options. There you’ll find the option to disable unit conversion for that single recipe!
There you’ll find the option to disable unit conversion for that single recipe.
HTTP code 401
This message means your Tasty Recipes license key isn't saved on your site. Enter your license key and save it. Then return and open the recipe and click Update again.
HTTP code 403
This message appears when Nutrifox cannot validate your Tasty Recipes license. This happens when your license is entered incorrectly or the license needs to be renewed.
HTTP code 500
“Ingredient units were not converted: Nutrifox conversion API request failed (HTTP code 500). Try saving the recipe again or contact Tasty Recipes support if the error persists.”
There are a few things you can try to troubleshoot this issue:
- Try opening the recipe again and click Update. Sometimes, server errors can be temporary and resolving themselves after a short period of time.
- Check to make sure that all of the ingredient units are correctly formatted and listed in the recipe. The Nutrifox API may not be able to convert units that are not recognized or formatted incorrectly.
- If the issue persists, you may want to contact Tasty Recipes support for further assistance. We'll help you troubleshoot the issue and find the ingredient causing the error.
If you have other questions about unit conversion, contact us and we'll help you out!